Sensitive skin care has a few basic rules. However, even before we delve into the rules for sensitive skin care, it’s important to understand whether you have sensitive skin. Sensitive skin is unable to tolerate any unfavorable conditions (environmental/other), and easily shows irritation on contact with foreign materials (including skin care products). For this reason, you will see some products especially labeled as sensitive skin care products. The degree of sensitivity varies from person to person (depending on that, the sensitive skin care procedures vary too).
Generally, all skin types respond negatively to detergents and other chemical based products. However, the damage generally starts after a defined threshold (or tolerance level). This tolerance level is very low for sensitive skin types. Sensitive skin gets damaged very quickly and easily. Sensitive skin care products either avoid the potential irritants or keep them at very low concentrations.
Here are a few tips for sensitive skin care:
- Use sensitive skin care products only (i.e. the products that are marked for sensitive skin care only). Also, check the instructions/ notes on the product to see if there are specific restrictions/warnings associated with the product).
- Even within the range of sensitive skin care products, choose one with minimum preservatives, dyes, and other additives.
- Do not use toners. Most of them are alcohol based and are a poor choice for sensitive skin.
- Wear protective gloves when doing laundry or other chemical based cleaning. If you are allergic to latex or rubber, you can wear cotton gloves under the rubber ones.
- Another important tip for sensitive skin care is to avoid excessive exposure to sun. Apply sunscreen lotion before getting out in the sun.
- Avoiding exposure to dust and other pollutants is also important for sensitive skin care. So, cover yourself adequately before going out.
- Use hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic moisturizer as a sensitive skin care product (if there is none specifically labeled as a sensitive skin care product)
- Use soap-free and alcohol free cleansers. Cleanse your face whenever you return from spending time outdoors.
- Do not scrub or exfoliate too hard. It can cause redness and even inflammation.
- Do not leave your makeup on for too long. Use hypoallergenic makeup- removers.
So, sensitive skin care is very different from normal skin care. Sensitive skin care is more about choosing skin products carefully (both in terms of sensitive skin care products and protection against environmental impact on skin).